Cara Jenkinson, Chair of MHSG, writes “I am deeply concerned that it now seems more and more likely that fracking will be allowed to proceed apace in the UK. In addition to the concerns around earthquake risk, water pollution has been a real issue in the US with benzene and methane found in drinking water. Furthermore and most worryingly shale gas retrieved by fracking is not ‘clean’ fuel, as stated in much of the promotion around this process. Scientists at Cornell University have shown that fracking leaks methane which is 105 times more powerful than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas. Richard Black, environment correspondent at the BBC has produced an excellent article showing that a ‘dash to gas’ will mean that we cannot hit the Government’s targets for decarbonisation.”
Sign the Petition
Cut Packaging Waste Now!
Muswell Hill Sustainability Group Events
See our events page for more.
Sign up now if you'd like to receive an email each time a new article is posted on this website
Muswell Hill Sustainability Group supports Haringey Council in successful bid to DECC for the Low Carbon Communities Fund.3 Comments
I have recently found a recurrent problem with ene...
I am in the Library with 'Mapping Muswell - An N10...
Hi Brian - just use the petition box at the top ri...
Is this how I sign the packaging petition? Please...
hello, I would really like to have some of these ...
- October 2013 (1)
- September 2013 (1)
- July 2013 (3)
- May 2013 (1)
- April 2013 (2)
- February 2013 (2)
- December 2012 (2)
- November 2012 (2)
- October 2012 (1)
- September 2012 (1)
- August 2012 (1)
- July 2012 (1)
- June 2012 (4)
- May 2012 (4)
- April 2012 (6)
- March 2012 (6)
- February 2012 (4)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (1)
- November 2011 (2)
- October 2011 (1)
- September 2011 (7)
- April 2011 (1)
- January 2011 (1)
- November 2010 (1)
- June 2010 (1)
- March 2010 (2)
- December 2009 (2)
- November 2009 (1)
- October 2009 (3)
- August 2009 (1)
- March 2009 (1)
- Tolkien gesture – scientist maps climate of Lord of the Rings
- Typhoon Haiyan: climate change is increasing the intensity of extreme weather events | Paddy Ashdown
- Can we play our way to a greener life? | Luke Holland
- Warsaw climate talks – final day live blog
- Reaction to claims Cameron wants to 'get rid of green crap': Politics live blog
- Twitter mocks David Cameron over 'green crap' story
- Entire economy depends on healthy environment, report shows
- Typhoon Haiyan should spur climate action | Vinod Thomas
- Global deforestation: 10 hot spots on Google Earth – in pictures
- Badger culling will ensure a healthy future for British cattle