2009 has been an eventful year for our organisation. Here is the main news;
We have held 10 meetings, included one addressed by GLA member Nikki Gavron,
* We provided members for 3 eco-teams and set up a light bulb library,
* We established this website,
* We ran stalls at the Green Fair (“rocket science”) and at the Muswell Hill Festival,
* In August we held an Anti-plastic bag demo outside Sainsburys in which we gave away 150 Green bags and won public support and coverage in the Muswell Hill Journal,
* We increased our paid up membership to 40,
* Our ideas for a Muswell Hill Low Carbon Zone were adopted by the Council whose bid for GLA funding was oneof only 10 successful bids in the whole of London. It will mean £250K being applied in services and subsidies to reduce carbon emissions in the Zone by 20.12% by the end of 2012. MHSG will be heavily involved in the delivery of this project,
* Our Green Streets bid for £200K from British Gas to do other good works in N10, outside the Zone, was an unsuccessful finalist but with another chance on the repechage,
* Our bid to DECC, in partnership with the Council, for £250K for putting PV arrays on schools in N10 and other large buildings is still under consideration,
* On 30 October Muswell Hill Sustainability Group registered en10ergy ltd as a free-standing social enterprise company. This was a finalist project in the Archant London Environmental Awards 2009,
* In the same competition our chair, Alan Morton, was awarded an Archant plaque as runner-up Environmentalist of the Year!!
1 January 2010 is when next year’s subscription (£10 a time) falls due. We hope that you will wish to join/renew.