Local elections take place in Haringey on 3rd May 2018. On April 19th, MHSG is getting together with other environmental groups in Haringey for a hustings meeting to question candidates from all parties about their environmental policies. All are welcome to attend.
Our asks for local environmental policy are as follows:
1. Commit to continuing support for 40:20 and Zero 50 targets and programmes (inc district energy schemes) and embed across key departments by giving a senior manager in each key team (eg planning, regen, HfH, transport) responsibility for carbon targets.
2. Commit to rigorously enforcing Zero Carbon standard for new developments – and Zero Carbon levy, with a local cost of carbon that reflects the unique nature of Haringey’s built environment and carbon reduction need
3. Develop energy efficiency retrofit programme for private sector housing (maybe linked to HMO licensing programme) and ramp up energy efficiency work on the council’s own homes through Homes for Haringey.
4. Continue to support renewable energy installation on council and community buildings
5. Support radical cycling and walking plans, including segregated bike lanes, to cut car use
6. Encourage switch away from diesel, by ending in own fleet and contractors’; and adding diesel levy to parking bands.
7. Develop tougher policy to prevent further loss of open space – parks, SINCs, MOL, SLOL , and commit to net increase in green space and biodiverse habitats in new developments.
8. Adopt a strategy to cut consumption of single-use plastics across all Council activities.
Leave a Reply