Extinction Rebellion – the 3rd Uprising
Over 30 local Extinction Rebellion activists including MHSG members staged a series of ‘Die-Ins’ on Muswell Hill’s roads at the end of last month to alert residents to the climate emergency and herald the larger protests in London, Manchester and Cardiff.
We are calling on MPs to support the Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill. The Bill calls for:
- the UK to make and enact a serious plan to deal with our share of emissions so that we don’t go over critical global rises in temperature
- our entire carbon footprint be taken into account (in the UK and overseas)
- protection and conservation of nature here and overseas along supply chains, recognising the damage we cause through the goods we consume
- those in power not to depend on technology to save the day, which is used as an excuse to carry on polluting as usual
- ordinary people to have a real say on the way forward in a citizens’ assembly with bite.
The Climate and Ecological Bill has been developed with members of the successful Big Ask campaign that led to the Climate Change Act, Power for People and members of Extinction Rebellion with contributions from eminent scientists, academics and lawyers.
This Evening Standard article makes clear that more support is needed, and fast! The Climate Change Act (2008) took three years to go through Parliament – let’s make sure the Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill takes a fraction of that time – write to your MP now!
The Carbon Footprint of Everything
While we take the Government to task on the nation’s carbon emissions, we can also examine our own. Hot on the heels of MHSG’s ‘How big is your carbon footprint?’ webinar in June, acknowledged expert in the field and author of bestselling ‘How Bad Are Bananas’ Mike Berners-Lee will discuss latest insights with LBC presenter Matthew Stadlen at an online event on Tuesday, 15th June, 6.30-7.30 – find out more and buy your ticket here (includes video sent within 48 hours if you’re not free at that time).