Administrator/Coordinator – Job Description
Status: Self-employed consultant, Part-time 1 day per week 7.5 hours equivalent including evening and weekend working from time to time
Salary: £500 per month, invoice to be raised monthly (equivalent to £30K per year)
Location of work: Home-based, with in-person meetings and events in Muswell Hill
Please send your CV and cover letter to Cara Jenkinson by 9th February 2024.
If you have any queries or to discuss, please contact:
Cara Jenkinson, Chair, MHSG at firstname.lastname@example.org
Muswell Hill Sustainability Group is a local voluntary organisation formed in 2008 to help local residents live in a way which meets both current and future needs in view of the climate and nature emergencies. MHSG is a community organisation, not a company, pressure group or registered charity. Our aim is to reduce carbon emissions and waste in the Muswell Hill and surrounding areas, encouraging residents, local businesses and community groups to live more sustainably.
We work with other local groups and Haringey Council to cut carbon emissions, reduce waste, encourage local food growing and promote low-impact transport.
Our Green Open Homes season of events is a particular focus for activity each year. We hold regular expert speaker meetings and help members calculate their household’s carbon footprint. Our Christmas and summer parties are also popular, featuring the now legendary homemade buffet!
Our community energy company, en10ergy, has installed solar photovoltaic panels on Marks & Spencer on Muswell Hill Broadway, Muswell Hill Methodist Church and two local schools. These generate both electricity and an income to support our work, including the salary for this post.
About the Secretary/Coordinator role
Reports to: MHSG Chair
- Act as contact for MHSG, keeping track of email correspondence.
- Act as a member of and secretary to the MHSG Committee, attending and minuting four to six evening meetings a year.
- Produce monthly e-newsletters
- Maintain simple contacts database (Mailchimp)
- Creating new website content and updating existing content where necessary
- Promote activities and events through X, Instagram and Facebook.
- Moderate discussion on Facebook groups for specific topics, eg Green Homes.
Volunteer and stakeholder liaison
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers as necessary to run small projects, stalls and events.
- Liaise with other sustainability groups in North London and beyond to share best practice and co-ordinate activities
- Co-ordinate outreach work through maintaining and building links with other influential community organisations in the local area such as residents associations, faith groups and others
- Carry out research for upcoming campaigns/activities
- Plan and deliver small projects including co-ordination of volunteer team
- Monitor effectiveness of campaigns and other activities.
- Interest in, knowledge of and enthusiasm for sustainability issues.
- A ‘self-starter’ with ability to work on more than one project at a time
- Digital skills to carry out the tasks above.
- Strong communication and administration skills.
- A ‘people person’ with experience of volunteering and/or working with volunteers, including the ability to encourage, motivate and attract volunteers in general and for specific projects
- Familiarity with the Muswell Hill area.