Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
1 ¾ cups flour (You can use unbleached all-purpose or spelt. If you are gluten-free feel free to use a GF blend or even oat flour)
⅓ cup cane sugar or ¼ cup cane sugar with 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
⅓ cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large overripe bananas, mashed
¼ cup almond milk (or oat milk)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan.
- In one medium sized mixing bowl: mash the bananas, add applesauce and vanilla extract, then mix again.
- To this mixture, add the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well, but don’t overmix, just until the flour is combined. Batter will be a little thick and there will be a few lumps, so no worries. If the mixture seems a little too thick, add a bit more milk, especially if using heavier flours such as whole wheat or spelt.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes.
- Insert toothpick in bread to test if it’s done. If it comes out clean it means your bread is ready!
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
From Earth Day www.earthday.org/eat-plant-based-one-meal-for-a-week/