Meadow Orchard, N8
This is an ecobuild project on a community growing space/nature reserve.
The construction is straw bale and cob, with a reclaimed timber roof.
Pages Hill, N10
Semi-detached Edwardian property with low cost, largely DIY work to increase energy efficiency. Features include:
- External insulation
- Wood burning stove
- Solar panels
- Triple glazed French doors and window in loft studio
- LED lighting.
Myddleton Road N22
- The design was modelled using Passivhaus DesignPH software, to achieve Enerphit performance.
- The new rear extension built in lightweight timber frame construction with an outer skin of rendered wood fibre insulation.
- Open cell Icynene insulation used througout between studs and rafters
- All windows have been replaced with high performance triple glazed units, including the traditional sashes to the street elevation.
- The house is continuously and quietly supplied with fresh, filtered air using an MVHR system providing high levels of comfort and efficiency
- Natural ventilation also deeply integrated into the design with manually opening windows and rooflights providing excellent through ventilation when required.
- A green roof to to the extension (yet to be planted) will slow run-off of rain, provide an attractive view and biodiversity.
Weir Hall Road, N17
1920s semi-detached house. Extensive eco-refurbishment completed in 2017.
- External, internal and underfloor insulation,
- air source heat pump,
- solar PV panels.
Yewtree Close, N22
This is an energy-efficient refurbishment of an unusual single-storey timber-framed detached house.
It is double-glazed throughout and has good floor and roof insulation plus internal wall insulation. The only source of space heating is a wood-burning stove. Appliances and lighting are low-energy, while there is also an air-source heat pump. Solar PV panels are installed on the roof.
Features in detail:
- Argon filled 12mm double glazing in aluminium frames (except on south side)
- Kingspan “Thermwall”, 100mm rigid, foiled insulation, new ply board with sealed joints
- Celotex GA400 100mm rigid roof insulation with foil backing
- Celotex GA400 100mm rigid floor insulation with foil backing
- New windows and door draught sealed
- Air source heat pumps for underfloor heating and hot water
- 16 photo voltaic panels with total 4kW peak
- New high performance wood burning stove
- 100% LED and some compact fluorescent
- Low energy appliances throughout
- Water saving: 1000ltr rainwater butts
Brantwood Road N17
- External wall insulation
- Low energy lightbulbs