Energy upgrades for homes

Booking for our Green Open Homes 2023 events now open!

Your home is one of the biggest contributors to your carbon footprint.

Homes in Muswell Hill and surrounding areas are often older and draughtier. Some energy improvements can be done at relatively low cost, whereas a whole-house ‘retrofit’ will be more expensive.

In these pages, we aim to provide advice for new homeowners, and general advice that can help if you’ve had your home for years.

Check out our videos of two local green homes and recent webinars on green home technologies and the green homes grant.

Just moved in?

You have a golden opportunity to improve the energy efficiency of your home.

What are my options?

Find out more about a wide variety of topics on home energy use and new green technologies from The Centre for Sustainable Energy’s fantastic advice leaflets here and Centre for Alternative Technologies detailed information service here.

Local case studies
• 1 – Edwardian 2-storey mid-terrace house
• 2 – Edwardian 2-storey semi-detached house
• 3 – Edwardian 3-storey end of terrace house
• 4 – Middle floor flat in 3-storey Victorian property
• 5 – 1930s terraced house
• 6 – 1980s timber construction house
• 7 – 1920s ex London County Council end-of-terrace house

Planning and Conservation

Planning permission; planning and building control guidance (Haringey Council); Muswell Hill, Hornsey and Wood Green conservation areas.

Government Incentives and Financial Help

Find out about the Green Homes Grant and other incentives here.



DISCLAIMER: There have been numerous changes to government policy concerning planning and environmentalregulations since the material in this section was first put together (2014), and technology continues to change. We have tried to reflect these changes, but some uncertainty remains. Please be aware that you need to check the information and advice given here with competent professionals and the local authority.

Copyright: Muswell Hill Sustainability Group, September 2020 (except where otherwise stated)