Your home is one of the biggest contributors to your carbon footprint.
Homes in Muswell Hill and surrounding areas are often older and draughtier. Some energy improvements can be done at relatively low cost, whereas a whole-house ‘retrofit’ will be more expensive.
In these pages, we aim to provide advice for new homeowners, and general advice that can help if you’ve had your home for years.
We have local case studies here.
1. INTRODUCTION: YOU MAY WELL HAVE PLANS …
2. IMPROVING HOME ENERGY PERFORMANCE
The Centre for Sustainable Energy offers a series of downloadable pdf advice leaflets on a wide variety domestic energy topics. New leaflets are added periodically, and old ones phased out, so for the latest information use the link above to access the CSE site directly.
3. RENEWABLE HEAT AND POWER: SOLAR ROOFS ETC.
4. CASE STUDIES FROM OUR NEIGHBOURHOOD
• 1 – Edwardian 2-storey mid-terrace house
• 2 – Edwardian 2-storey semi-detached house
• 3 – Edwardian 3-storey end of terrace house
• 4 – Middle floor flat in 3-storey Victorian property
• 5 – 1930s terraced house
• 6 – 1980s timber construction house
• 7 – 1920s ex London County Council end-of-terrace house
5. PLANNING AND CONSERVATION
Planning permission; planning and building control guidance (Haringey Council); Muswell Hill, Hornsey and Wood Green conservation areas.
DISCLAIMER: There have been numerous changes to government policy concerning planning and environmentalregulations since the material in this section was first put together (2014), and technology continues to change. We have tried to reflect these changes, but some uncertainty remains. Please be aware that you need to check the information and advice given here with competent professionals and the local authority.
Copyright: Muswell Hill Sustainability Group, September 2020 (except where otherwise stated)